Tuesday, September 8, 2009

and I'm sure the view from heaven beats the hell out of mine here

Today is the 6th anniversary of the day my Opa died. :(

I miss him so much! Oma, Mom, Dad, and I went to the cemetery today to water the flowers at his gravestone, and to tidy up the place and pay our respects, say our prayers, etc. There's one huge sunflower stalk growing in between his stone and my Oma's family members' stone, which is gorgeous. It has a lot of sunflowers blooming on it, and then there are little red flowers growing all along the bottom. My mom said there's even a tomato plant growing there and a peach tree plant, which is probably about a foot high right now.

She told me she'll take the peach tree out later in the fall and plant it in our backyard, but it was fascinating to see it there!

After the cemetery, we came back to our house and had bacon and tomato sandwiches - a real summer treat, which I guess is fitting for the last day of summer. Although, I'm not going back to school, dad's retired, and mom's on a leave of absence from her teaching post, but yeah...it felt like a nice close to summer.

I had an interesting encounter in the store earlier when I was going to get milk. I get to the milk section, and there's a whole family blocking the way....a mom, a dad, and three kids, and they're all talking to each other, animatedly, so I said "excuse me." I said it three or four times, and finally, the father moved out of the way when I said "MOVE, please." I don't think they quite understood english. :( So I get my milk, turn around, and they've all sort of formed an arc around me, blocking a way for me to exit the milk area and pay for my purchases....so again, I say "excuse me" again, and they're not moving, because they're so enthralled in their conversation (which I figured out was in some sort of Indian language). So finally I said "Move again, PLEASE..." and I was able to make my way out of the milk area and down the aisle. It was kinda weird.

I've got to head to rehearsal soon for the show I'm playing in. I just wrote up my new bio for the programs and emailed that along. We have rehearsal tonight, dress rehearsal Saturday morning, and then we open on Sunday! Then Sunday I'll make my journey from NYC to LI for my Grandpa's 90th birthday celebration! I'm so excited! =)

No comments: