Sunday, August 9, 2009

there's something on my mind, I need to tell you why

I saw Julie & Julia yesterday with Kelly, and I loved it. I absolutely loved the movie (I'm reading the book right now, about halfway through it and do thoroughly enjoy it, except that when Julie talks about the recipes, I want to see what's going on more than read about it, which is why the movie/visual aspect was awesome). I, like Julie, have set goals (and blog about them, I've realized), so I know where she's coming from.

Setting a goal for yourself is so much pressure. Now, my challenge isn't quite as extreme as hers (365 days, 524 recipes?!?! Yikes!), but mine is lengthy. I set a goal to read 50 books in 365 days, and so far I'm doing well. I'm reading books number 34 and 35 ("Julie & Julia" by Julie Powell, and "Taking the Walk" by Hanson and Bill Cerveny). I started Julie and Julia a couple days ago, and it's been a slow book for me. Some books go faster than others, but because of work, I've only been able to really read it on the train going to and from work, and sometimes at home. I just started "Taking the Walk" this evening, and I feel like that will be a leisure read at night before I go to bed. Who knows which one I'll finish first, and then my next challenge will be what I should read next.

Another challenge I set for myself in the past was my photo blog challenge. It's only 100 pictures, and I thought I would finish it in 100 days, but I failed. Well, not so much failed, but I'm on hiatus again. Really, it's only a few more pictures left until it's completed, but I don't know what's wrong with me. I can't seem to find the stamina to finish that project. I need a swift kick in the butt to finish the project so I can go on with my life!

There are only two shows left with the show that I'm playing in, which is something I'm looking forward to. In the beginning of this show, I thought to myself that if I was asked to come back and play the next show (a show I've actually already played), I would probably politely decline, because I do want my weekend time back. But now that it's getting closer to auditions and rehearsals for this upcoming show, I have not heard any word about playing, and I have this feeling that I won't even be asked to play. My boss has been telling me and the other player that his daughter's going to be playing the next show with him. She's 10. She's really going to be playing marimba on an off-broadway show? I seriously think she's going to get bored of it real fast, and he's going to need to find someone else to fill in for her. And what if they have weekday performances for school groups? I don't think she's going to be taken out of school to play a show, so she'll need a sub for those shows. Is that when they'll ask me? To sub? I don't know how I feel about this whole situation, especially considering the fact that I was probably going to decline the spot if offered to me (even though I already know the music). I think it's just a matter of having a musician they won't have to pay (we don't get much as it is). I do, however, have this sinking suspicion that if I'm not asked to be a musician, it'll be assumed I open box office for all the shows. And if that's the case, they've got another thing coming. If I'm not going to play the show, it's not worth it to get up extra early on the weekends just to sell some tickets. Besides, Carlo owes us, so he can have the pleasure of the early mornings.

I think that's it for now. That's my little slice of life. I'm going to bed.

<3 kristin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I totally agree..the book is a little on the slow side when it comes to reading about the cooking..but otherwise I can't wait to see the movie! ~Julie