Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I know this map is leading me to treasure

It's been awhile since I've been here (I say as I dust off the blog). A bunch of things have happened I guess, since the last time I've been moved enough to jot down a few of the goings on in my life.

My show closed, the one that had a run for a good 3 months. I think that has been the longest run for a show that I've ever been involved in. It was actually kinda cool that it ran that long....we, the musicians, locked into a good groove and vibe and were playing pretty solid shows for awhile. When the run came to an end, I was both sad and overjoyed - sad that I knew the music so well now and we weren't going to be playing it anymore, but overjoyed that I would have a couple weekends back. For three months, I was waking up early to make sure I got to work on time to set up the pit, open the box office, work the box office and sell tickets, play the show, and then clean up. I'm pretty lucky to be signed up for the next show, though, which will be pretty awesome. It's going to be a very short run from the middle of July to the middle of August (this is the first time the producer's ventured into having a show during the summer). Another plus is that, because my boss will be on vacation for a good portion of that run, he won't be playing this time around! I think that kind of makes me in charge of things, because I will be the one that's played in all the shows that has had a pit section....

I thought about this the other day, but I guess I could be considered a "house musician." I'm kinda like the Anton Fig of our theatre. Except not, since I don't wear the same weird funky hat, and I don't play drumset, and I clearly don't get paid anywhere near the amount he does. But still, it's a pretty cool title to hold, I think.

Since the show has wrapped, I've missed the cast. I don't get to see them every weekend anymore. But that was rectified when Scott had a barbeque Sunday night. It was originally a cast party bbq, but it turned into a bbq for their close friends, which was fine. There were lots of people there, lots of food, tons of alcohol, music, fun times. It was great, and I got to see the cast and actually talk to them for more than two minutes. It was really nice bonding time, and Scott said there will be more bbq's to come this summer.

Things on the Book Challenge front are going slightly well. I'm not even sure where I should be at right now, but I've read 16 books, and all of them have been really interesting and books I've wanted to read. I've even fallen in love with some of the characters, story lines, and atmospheres. That's what I love about books, and I also love that when you read sequels, it's like you're visiting a neighbor or old friend again. I hope to read a little more now that it's summer time, and hopefully I will fulfill my mission of 50 books by December 31st.

Now that it's summer, I really want to take a vacation. It's a little bit hard to plan since I've committed to a couple things already this summer, and I'm pretty much working through the summer (hopefully!). I've got a couple things I've committed to in June (drum corps shows, acappella group retreat), then I have rehearsals and the show in July through mid August. I possibly could go visit my family in Austria in late August, but I think I want to go to DCAs this year (or to our summer house community Labor Day bbq), so it's pretty hard to decide right now. I also don't know if any of my family will be coming to visit for the summer...it's Christopher's turn, since my aunt and two of the four cousins were here for my cousin's wedding, and Barbara was here in September and December. I also really want to go visit them in December, right before Christmas. They say it's beautiful at that time of year, with the snow and everything. And there are Christmas markets galore and I seem to remember my cousin Thomas saying something about a manger hunt.....

Anyways, I've been saving up a little money each week since last May, a couple of days after I graduated college. I'm pretty surprised and proud that I've kept up with it and have continuously saved money each week. The perfect way to celebrate would be to SPEND IT, but even after my hard work, I don't want to take any money out, just keep putting money in! But soon, I must go on vacation! I really need it.

Okay, I'm wiped. Peace out, kiddos.

No comments: