Wednesday, January 21, 2009

it's a beautiful day...don't let it get away

My dear acquaintance, it's so good to know you
For strength of your hand
That is loving and giving
And a happy new year
With love overflowing
With joy in our hearts
For the blessed new year

Raise your glass and we'll have a cheer
For us all who are gathered here
And a happy new year to all that is living
To all that is gentle, kind, and forgiving
Raise your glass and we'll have a cheer
My dear acquaintance, a happy new year

All of those who are hither and yonder
With love in our hearts
We grow fonder and fonder
Hail to those who we hold so dear
And hail to those who are gathered here

And a happy new year to all that is living
To all that is gentle, young, and forgiving
Raise your glass and we'll have a cheer
My dear acquaintance, a happy new year
Happy new year

"My Dear Aquaintance" by Regina Spektor

So....it's kind of late in the month of January, but I pretty much have figured out my resolutions for this year. I'm not usually big on resolutions (I rarely made them in the past) but I like the idea of making goals for the year, and then looking back on them a year later to see if you've accomplished them. So, here goes.

1) Read 50 books and document each book that I've read, as well as the date I finished reading them, in a journal. (My one rule is that they are all books that I have not previously read.)

2) Utilize the channel that Caitlin and I created to make weekly book challenge updates and track our progress.

3) Join a gym and be committed to exercising for a year.

4) Go to Disney World! (hopefully I'll be going in May, and not in September which is when I was originally going to be going)

5) Travel outside of the country at least once in 2009.

6) Start a journal/notebook where I collect all my favorite quotes and other things that I find inspirational.

7) Blog more.

8) Spend more time with Oma.

I hope to accomplish each and every one of these. Wish me luck!


And at this point, I would just like to say how proud I am to be one of the voters who helped elect Senator Barack Obama as the 44th President of the United States. I watched his Inauguration Speech today - I'm pretty sure this is the first Inauguration Ceremony I've ever watched, because now I'm old enough to really understand what goes on and to take into account that this really affects my life. Although somber, he speech was eloquently given. He is a great speaker, and I do hope that he has many great plans for our country.

Congratulations, Mr. President.




How great is this picture?

1 comment:

Marielle said...

that is an awesome picture. and smitty our resolutions inspire me! i love the one with quotes. i'd like to do that. and i need to do #3 as well. and i do want to see you blog more! i miss you on it. especially your photo project.